Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Pretty girls and mission fields

Ah, what the hay. I'm in the writing mood this evening as the rain pours down creating a pleasant cool breeze upon my back. Oh wait, that's the fan. Well, rain is better than snow. Actually they both kinda suck.

Perhaps we shall discuss something a little lighter and down to earth - though not any less spiritual of course. Sometimes we need to practice merging our everyday lives with our spiritual ones. The fact that I need to preface my thoughts with this shows how uneasy we are talking about everyday issues in such a 'spiritual' blog. Sheesh.

So, I often wonder about my dilemma I'm in these days. Who to marry. Will I even find this girl who fulfills all these narrow criteria I impose on her? Hope she forgives me. See, as a guy I'm naturally attracted to girls who are pretty, who have clear skin, dresses well, with a great smile etc etc. Honestly speaking (and I don't believe I'm actually being so open right now) I may catch a glance at a girl and tell God, "Did you see her God, that's the kind I want!" It's probably happened enough times that God has a pretty good idea what I'm looking for.

But the problem is, these girls that I fancy are not really suitable for me. At least, I don't see how they can be. The ones that I'm attracted are often the ones that half the population are also attracted to. It's not like I'm so different in my tastes than most guys. In a word, these girls are "hot" (no need to take read this term in any sexual way ... it's a figure of speech). The problem with 'hot' girls is threefold: they are either not Christian (therefore sharing nothing in common with me), or they are either taken (happily and longtime taken), or they are the kind who would never dare to leave the city to go with me to the mission field to live in a mud hut and squat defecate. Statistically (generally, not absolutely -- please don't take any offence ladies), girls who are called by God to go to the mission field are not the most gorgeous of girls. They don't style their hair or keep close tabs on their weight. Missionary women are always saying that there are not enough Christian guys to marry. But seriously, are we the only ones to blame? God, please call more attractive girls to the mission field.

So, my conclusion. 1) God miraculous provides. Though this might cause a frenzy of competition that I could do without; 2) I lower my standards for physical attraction and stop being so primally male; 3) Celebacy? So far the best option I must say.

No comments: