Tuesday, April 03, 2007

have mercy

Just finished preaching a sermon from John 3:16-21. The gospel, clear and straightforward presentation on the sacrificial and universal love of God. It took 20 mins, then for 30 mins, I got chewed by my class during the critique.

They took apart the transitions, complained about how the intro could have better tied into the 2nd point, and wondered why the applications weren't more "concrete". I mean, do I really need walk you through a 3-step process on how you examine your beliefs and reflect on the love of God and how to respond in continuous, fruit-bearing faith?

Sometimes I fear the direction that theological education is going. I fear where the church is headed. The flabbiness, the apathy, the intellectual impoverishment.

God have mercy.

No comments: